Squash Caviar – Russian vegan recipe
Squash Caviar, in Russian – кабачко́вая икра́ [ka-bach-kó-va-ya eek-rá], is loved by many Russians. It’s a nice and healthy snack, that can be totally considered vegan.
It’s often sold in the Russian supermarkets, but it’s also very easy to make it at home. Today we are going to tell you how.
To prepare the Russian squash caviar you will need:
Squashes (medium size) – 3 pcs.
Large carrot – 1 pc.
Onions (medium size) – 2 pcs.
Garlic – 1-2 cloves
Tomato paste – 2 tbsp.
Vegetable oil (for roasting vegetables) – 1-2 tbsp.
Salt – to taste
Pepper – to taste
1. Dice the onions and grate the carrots on a big grater.
2. Peel the squashes and cut them in small pieces.
3. Fry the onions and carrots with olive oil for a few minutes (until the onions become slightly golden).
4. Add the squashes to the onions and carrots, pour a bit of water. Cook the mix for 30-40 minutes. Add more water if it starts burning.
5. Grate the garlic and add it to the vegetables.
6. Add tomato paste, salt and pepper. Mix everything and cook for another 15-20 minutes.
7. Stop the fire, let the mix cool off a bit and grind it with a blender.
8. Your caviar is ready! Put it in a jar and place in the fridge until it totally cools down. The caviar is served cold.
Bon appetit! 🙂